Assistance with Home Renovations
Through the HAFI program, homeowners can get a considerable amount of financial assistance towards home renovations to improve their mobility or make their home safer.
To receive assistance, the applicant must meet the following qualifications:
- The requested renovations must be eligible under HAFI.
- The applicant must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in B.C. permanently.
- The applicant or a member of their household must have a permanent disability or diminished ability*.
- The home for adaptation must be the applicant’s primary residence.
- Household assets must be less than $100,000. These include your cash or bank balance, stocks, bonds, term deposits, mutual funds, business equity, land, and real estate or property holdings. These exclude: RRSPs, RESPs, RDSPs, RRIFs, vehicles and the home that you live in, if you own it.
- Household income must fall within the Housing Income Limit for the applicant’s area (which also takes into account household composition).
The applicant’s home’s BC Assessment value must be below the Home Value Limit (average assessed value of homes for your assessment area).
The following housing is ineligible for HAFI:
- Housing owned or subsidized by government at any level, or units that are part of a development which receives or has received government housing assistance. However, units occupied by households receiving assistance through the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) or the Rental Assistance programs may be eligible.
- Applications on behalf of strata corporations.
- Hotels, motels, lodges and bed and breakfasts.
- Hospitals, nursing homes and residential care facilities.
- Student housing, including dormitories.
- Company housing provided to employees.
- Religious institutions or associated residences, rectories and convents.
- Recreational/seasonal properties or vehicles.
- Dwellings On-Reserve.
- Properties under construction.
- Properties where foreclosure proceedings have commenced.
If you’re still unsure whether or not you or your loved one would qualify for HAFI assistance, contact us. We’re happy to help.
Click here to begin filling out your HAFI application.