The HAFI program doesn’t just help homeowners. There is also financial assistance available to both landlords and tenants who are looking to make apartments, flats, and other types of residential units more safe and accessible for the elderly and individuals with disabilities.
To receive assistance, the applicant must meet the following qualifications:
- The requested adaptations must be eligible under HAFI
The unit for adaptation must be a legal, self-contained unit complete with a full kitchen and bathroom.
- The tenant must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in B.C. permanently.
- The tenant or a member of their household must have a permanent disability or diminished ability*.
The tenant’s household assets must be less than $100,000 as per BC Housing’s Asset Policy for tenants. These include: cash or bank balance, stocks, bonds, term deposits, mutual funds, business equity, land, real estate or property holdings (including a home if the tenant owns it). These exclude: RRSPs, RESPs, RDSPs and vehicles.
The tenant’s household income must fall within the Housing Income Limit for their area (which also takes into account household composition).
The tenant’s rent must fall below the median rent level for their area.
The following housing is ineligible for HAFI:
- Housing owned or subsidized by government at any level, or units that are part of a development which receives or has received government housing assistance. However, units occupied by households receiving assistance through the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) or the Rental Assistance programs may be eligible.
- Applications on behalf of strata corporations.
- Hotels, motels, lodges and bed and breakfasts.
- Hospitals, nursing homes and residential care facilities.
- Student housing, including dormitories.
- Company housing provided to employees.
- Religious institutions or associated residences, rectories and convents.
- Recreational/seasonal properties or vehicles.
- Dwellings On-Reserve.
- Properties under construction.
- Properties where foreclosure proceedings have commenced.
To start filling out an application for HAFI assistance click here. If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to contact us to help you along the way.